Home
Site Map
Contact
Links     ©
Birthplace of Ice Hockey
Windsor,  Nova  Scotia, Canada – c. 1800
by Garth Vaughan © 2001
Hants County Logo & Link
 

Origin   Evolution   Hockeyists   Windsor

Birthplace
Overview


Long Pond Story
Long Version
Short Version


Supporting Maps
1786 – "Plan" for King’s
Windsor – Anson Map
1871 – Church Map
1879 – Hendry Map
1880 – Roe Bros Map

1878 – Bird’s Eye View


BIG Maps
1786 – "Plan" for King’s
Windsor – Anson Map
1871 – Church Map
Aerial View/Church
1879 – Hendry Map
1880 – Roe Bros Map

1878 – Bird’s Eye View
Map to Long Pond

Other
1842 – TCH/King’s Deed

Compilation of Maps

Tourism Links

Long Pond Photos

 

 

The Short "Long Pond" Story
Haliburton’s Long Pond –
Researched and Written by Holly Hammett-Vaughan

Haliburton's Long Pond Fall 2002 Haliburton’s Long Pond, Fall 2002

1. Thomas Chandler Haliburton attended King’s College Preparatory School, in the town of Windsor, in the British Colony of Nova Scotia, c. 1800.

"… boys let out racin’, yelpin’, hollerin, and whoopin’ like mad with pleasure, and the play-ground, and the games at bass [base] in the fields, or hurly on the long pond on the ice…"

Spoken by character Sam Slick in
– The Attaché, second series, by T. C. Haliburton

See full TCH Attaché quote

2. January 1833, T.C. Haliburton purchased thirty acres "bounding to the eastward on the village, to the north on the river, and to the South on the lands of King’s College ", and built Clifton House.

3. Fenwick Williams Vroom, ((1856 – 1944) – King’s College Historian, 55 yr affiliation with King’s, author of "F. W. Vroom, King’s College: a chronicle, 1789–1939",and Archdeacon of Nova Scotia) in his "Reminiscences of Windsor in the Seventies" [1870s] written in 1934, stated that "Clifton Avenue did not become a thoroughfare until some years later, and there was only a footpath from "Clifton" through the College woods. The right-of-way for this had been purchased from Judge Haliburton in exchange for an extensive field of several acres cut off from the College grounds and added to the "Clifton" property. This field contained the Long Pond which in winter was a favorite skating place, but some years ago the pond went dry…".

4. The deed of this transfer, dated January 28th, 1842, clearly identifies the land which was traded. This land makes up Clifton’s lower field , formerly known as the "Three Elms Cricket Club Field" which lies along what is now known as Clifton Avenue Extension.

5. Ambrose Church surveyed Windsor in 1871, and his meticulous map shows a large, distinctively shaped pond [three concentric, overlapping circles, with the central circle being of slightly larger size] situated in the field adjacent to King’s College Woods. 26 It was this field that came to Haliburton in the transfer with King’s College.

6. The Roe Brothers map of Windsor from 1880 shows the pond on Clifton Property in less detail 27, but the shape is still distinctive.

7. The Birds-eye View of Windsor – 1878 28, shows Haliburton’s property and the long pond, adjacent to Clifton Avenue.

8. In 1970 a "Tour Bus Route" was built running through ‘Centre Ice’. Recent measurements by land surveyors coincide with those of the Ambrose Church Map of 1871. The Long Pond was 900′ X 200′ in it’s heyday. Even though, as Vroom said, the Long Pond "went dry" , it still fills with water during heavy rainfall. When this preceeds sub-zero temperatures, the old pond freezes, making two large rinks* for the neighbourhood. It’s extreme length and the fact that it is usually bone dry and partly forested are the prime reasons why nobody in recent years recognized it for what it is. Many a Windsorian has skated on Haliburton’s now famous Long Pond, without knowing it!


NEW
"Long Pond was the great swimming place; yet possibly some of the present [1930s] generation may not even know where it is, or was. Our road was up Clifton Avenue, and the turning to the left as if going to Mr. Burchell’s. When one got about opposite Clifton House, in the field was Long Pond… (see more)

Excerpts from: "I Remember"
by H. Percy Blanchard
Capter 10 – In Swimming
(Windsor, Nova Scotia)
First Published as a weekly column to the Hants Journal c. 1930.
"the Three Elms" the author says, " … Long Pond was in the College grounds, and the level ground to the east of it was the cricket field … "NOTE: This field is the area now called Clifton Avenue Extension and contains many houses.

*A bus route now passes through the middle of Haliburton’s Long Pond.

 

 

  Origin   Evolution   Hockeyists   Windsor   Home   Site Map   Contact   Links   ©

All text contained in the birthplaceofhockey.com website © by Garth Vaughan 2001. All rights reserved. All images contained in the birthplaceofhockey.com website © Garth Vaughan 2001. All rights reserved. No part of the contents of this site may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including printing, recording, or by any information storage or retrieval system without written permission from Garth Vaughan, except for the inclusion of brief quotations in a review.