Origin
Evolution
Hockeyists
Windsor
WHHS
WHHS Logo - Site Map Link
Birthplace of Ice Hockey
Windsor,  Nova  Scotia, Canada
Hants County Logo & Link
 

Home    Site Map    Contact    Museum    Gift Shop    Links

 ©

Birthplace
Overview

TCH Hist Stat –
Nova Scotia
Farmland

NS Soil Types
NS Farmland
Halifax’s Farmland
Dartmouth’s Farmland
NS Orchards

 

 

Halifax’s Farmland
by Thomas Chandler Haliburton
An Excerpt From –
An Historical and Statistical Account of Nova Scotia
Pub 1829

… The Peninsula upon which Halifax is built is formed by Chebucto harbour, and the North West Arm, an inlet of the sea, which extends in the rear of the town to within a mile and a half of the Bedford Basin. This tract of land contains about three thousand acres each, with the exception of 240 acres, reserved for a common. To promote the cultivation of these allotments, an excise duty was imposed upon all spiritous liquors consumed in the Province, out of which a bounty of 20 shillings was apid for every acre of ground cleared and enclosed. The inhabotants, stimulated by encouragement, prepared, within a short time, two hundred lots, or more than one thousand acres, for the reception of grain, and protected them with substantial wooden fences; but an accidental fire spreading over the whole surface, consumed the pickets, and the decayed vegetable substances with which the land was covered. The sterile and stony nature of the soil was thus exhibited to view, and the settlers, disappointed and discouraged, desisted for many years, from making any further attempts at cultivation. At a subsequent period, Governor Lawrence, finding the inhabitants were under the necessity of importing hay from Massachusetts at exorbitant prices, prevailed upon the Legislature to offer a bounty on hay raised upon the Peninsula, and upon the erection of stone walls. In consequence of this act, the attempt was again made, and in 1762, 70 acres were brought into a state of cultivation, at an expense of twenty-two pounds ten shillings per acre. Since that time and especially within the last twenty years [1809 – 1829], the greater part of the land in the vicinity of the Capital, has been enclosed in stone walls, and rendered more productive than any other upland in Nova-Scotia [Nova Scotia]. It is therefore in much better accordance with the natural beauty of the environs of the town …


Excerpt From –
An Historical and Statistical Account of Nova Scotia
In two volumes. Illustrated by a map of the province, and several engravings.
By Thomas C. Haliburton, Esq.
Barrister at Law and Member of the House of Assembly of Nova Scotia
[originally] Printed and Published by Joseph Howe, Halifax 1829
Edition consulted – Candiana Reprint Series No. 51
Mika Publishing Belleville, Ontario 1973

Vol 2 Pg 21 – 22

 

Home  Site Map  Origin  Evolution  Hockeyists   Windsor   WHHS   Contact  Museum  GiftShop  Links 

All text contained in the birthplaceofhockey.com website © by Garth Vaughan 2001. All rights reserved. All images contained in the birthplaceofhockey.com website © Windsor Hockey Heritage Society Archives 2001. All rights reserved. No part of the contents of this site may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including printing, recording, or by any information storage or retrieval system without written permission from Garth Vaughan, except for the inclusion of brief quotations in a review.