Origin
Evolution
Hockeyists
Show & Tell
Windsor
WHHS
WHHS Logo - Site Map Link
Birthplace of Ice Hockey
Windsor,  Nova  Scotia, Canada
Hants County Logo & Link
 

Home    Site Map    Contact    Museum    Gift Shop    Links    Contribute

 ©

T.C. Haliburton
NS c1800

Overview
Hurley on the long pond
Works
Highways
Waterways
Railway

Windsor
King’s College
Windsor Gypsum
NS 1st Historian
Why He Wrote
Jack of All Trades
O’Brien
Clifton
Right of Way
TCH’s Long Pond

 

Thomas Chandler Haliburton’s King’s College, Windsor, Nova Scotia –
1829
From – An Historical and Statistical Account of Nova-Scotia by T. C. Haliburton

Windsor is the shire town 1 of Hants County. It contains, (beside a number of respectable private houses) an University, an Academy, an Episcopal Church, A Roman Catholic Chapel, a Methodist, Presbyterian, and Baptist meeting-house; a Court House and County Jail. The former [King’s College] has a Royal Charter, bearing the date at Westminster, the 12th day of May, 1802. By this Charter it is ordained that "King’s College" shall be deemed to be a University, and shall have and enjoy all such and like privileges, as are enjoyed by Universities in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, as far as the same are capable of being had and enjoyed by virtue of said letters patent. And that the students in the said College shall have the liberty and faculty of taking the degrees of bachelor, master, and doctor, in the several arts and faculties, at the appointed times.

The Archbishop of Canterbury is Patron of the Institution, and the following persons compose, ex officio, a board of Governors:- His Excellency the Lieutenant-Governor, The Right Rev. the Lord Bishop of Nova Scotia, The Hon. The Chief Justice, the Judge of the Court of Vice-Admiralty, the Speaker of the House of Assembly, the Attorney-General, the Solicitor- General, the Secretary of the Province, and the Rev. the President. The board has the power of making statutes and by-laws fir its internal Government and regulations.

The Following extract from the statutes of the University, will shew the course of studies established for the students:-
"Regular courses of lectures, as soon as the establishment shall admit of them, shall be read every year by the Professors in the following branches of literature, science, and knowledge. Each course shall begin in Michaelmas term, and shall be completed within the year – upon the evidences, practice and doctrines of the Christian Religion, Grammar, universal and of particular languages.

The Greek and Latin Classics, Hebrew, Rhetoric, Logic,
Mathematics,- including Arithmetic, Geometry, Algebra, Trigonometry, and the Conic Sections, with their application in Mechanics and other useful practical Sciences.
Natural Philosophy, Astronomy, Ethics, General Jurisprudence,
The Law of Nature and Nations, The Civil Law, and the Theory of Municipal Laws, Political Science, (Economy, Metaphysics, Geography and Chronology, History, ancient and modern, Anatomy, Botany, Chemistry, The Materia Medica, and the Practice of Medicine in clinical Lectures.

The four following Professorships shall be now established, to which others shall be added, as soon as the revenues of the College shall render it practicable.
1 – A Professor of Hebrew and Divinity
2 – A Professor of the Moral Sciences and Metaphysics
3 – A Professor of Mathematics, Natural Philosophy and Astronomy
4 – A Professor of Grammar, Rhetoric and Logic.

Masters shall be procured to teach the modern languages, particularly French, to whom small salaries shall be allowed, and whose fees for instruction shall be settled by the President. Students may likewise receive permission from the President to attend instructions in the arts of drawing, dancing, music, fencing, riding and other polite accomplishments. It is requisite that the president shall have taken a regular degree of Master of Arts, or Bachelor in Civil Law, at one of the Universities of Oxford, Cambridge or Dublin, in the United Kingdom. The students are eligible for matriculation 2, at age of fourteen years. This period is perhaps too youthful, but has been adopted on account of the limited means of the Country, and the custom which universally prevails in America, of introducing young men into business as soon as possible. The first matriculation took place in the year 1803, and the first degree was obtained on the 18th of November, 1807.-There have been conferred 67 degrees of A.B. 15 of A.M. two of B.D. one of D.D. one of B.C.L. and one of D.C.L.; besides eight honorary degrees of D.C.L. total 95. There are 12 Divinity scholarships attached to the College, by the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign parts. Candidates for these scholarships are nominated by the Bishop, and appointed by the Society. The object of these endowments is to enable Clergymen and others, to educate their children for the ministry of the Church of England; each scholar enjoying £30 Sterling per annum, for seven years. There are also four scholarships on the foundation, which are each of the value of £20 Sterling, and are tenable four years. These are designed as a reward for those students who are most distinguished at the annual examination. There are resident at present sixteen undergraduates and two bachelors. The College contains a large and well selected Library, and a valuable Philosophical apparatus.

The building consist of five wooden houses under one roof. These Bays are three stories in height, and consist of two suits of rooms on a floor, each suite containing one parlour and two bed rooms, for the accommodation of two Students. The situation of the College is extremely pleasant, and the most eligible that could be selected. It is about one mile from the town of Windsor, which is the most central point in the Province. The climate is peculiarly healthy; and it is remarkable that there never has occurred an instance of mortality among the Students since the first establishment of the institution. The buildings are erected upon an elevated spot, commanding in front a delightful view of the most improved and best cultivated parts of Nova- Scotia.. In the rear the scenery is equally fine, the landscape being much embellished by the meanderings of the Avon and St. Croix. The ground belonging to the College consists of about one hundred acres. The respectability of this establishment, its liberal endowments, the learning and exemplary conduct of its officers, the number of Gentlemen whom it has educated, and its influence it exerts upon the morals and manners of the Country, render it an object of the highest importance, that should be cherished and promoted. Subordinate to the University under its controul (control), and within the limits of its grounds is the Collegiate School. The building is composed of free-stone, and erected at an expense exceeding six thousand pounds. There are apartments in it for the head master and his family, his ushers, and about 40 borders. This Seminary is in a flourishing condition, and very numerously attended. The system of education is in accordance with that of the College, for which it is intended as a Preparatory Academy. At the school there are also twelve Divinity scholarships of £30 which may be severally held for seven years, or until matriculation. The object is the same as those at the College; to these scholarships the Bishop also nominates, and the Society appoints.

1 – shire town – British : a town that is the seat of the government of a shire)

2 – matriculate – transitive senses : to enroll as a member of a body and especially of a college or university)


Taken From
An Historical and Statistical Account of Nova-Scotia
In two volumes. Illustrated by a map of the province, and several engravings.
By Thomas C. Haliburton, Esq.
Barrister at Law and Member of the House of Assembly of Nova Scotia
(originally) Printed and Published by Joseph Howe, Halifax 1829
Edition consulted – Candiana Reprint Series No. 51
Mika Publishing Belleville, Ontario 1973
Volume 2, Pg 100 – 110
Section III – Middle Division – The County of Hants – Windsor
HRL SG ADULT 971.6 H172 h 1973

Next Page

For More on King’s-Edgehill School today, see "Hockeyists" Links

 

Home  Site Map  Origin  Evolution  Hockeyists  Show & Tell   Windsor   WHHS   Contact  Museum  GiftShop  Links  Contribute 

All text contained in the birthplaceofhockey.com website © by Garth Vaughan 2001. All rights reserved. All images contained in the birthplaceofhockey.com website © Windsor Hockey Heritage Society Archives 2001. All rights reserved. No part of the contents of this site may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including printing, recording, or by any information storage or retrieval system without written permission from Garth Vaughan, except for the inclusion of brief quotations in a review.
Production School House Logo & Link